Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Celtic United

Dear Mr Worrall,According to The Sun, for whom you write regularly, Celtic United gives promotion to the dubious assertion that Manchester United supporters sang 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on a sports terrace first.[1]Is this report an accurate reflection of your new book, and if so, did you search for and manage to find corroborating evidence for Jane Hardwick's claim, as originally printed in the Manchester Evening News,[2] or did you take her account at face value?[1] http://tinyurl.com/2bzdev[2] http://tinyurl.com/2holk5





Thanks Anon for your contribution - you are a prolific author, I have seen your name on many many articles on many many sites! Let me explain a little what this is all about... My new book Celtic United is out this week and has made a fair start in terms of sales etc. I believe it is my best book to date providing a full, interesting, entertaining picture of the two biggest clubs in Britain - and how their development, fortunes and history mirror each other in a remarkable way. As the title suggests the book is about Celtic FC and Manchester United FC and the bond between them. Now, in the introduction section I lightheartedly mentioned that United fans need not fear antagonistic about their Hoops counterparts singing You'll Never Walk Alone as it also had Old Trafford connections as well as Anfield. It was a piece of fun - rounded off with an exclamation mark. Naturally, the national press picked up on it (and ignored what the book is really about!) and outraged of Anfield (including our wondrous Anon!) decided it was a knock on Liverpool FC. Which it wasn't - it was a bit of fun.

I have received several indignant emails from Liverpool fans but Anon's was the best in that it summed up the ludicrous nature of the situation. No, I have not been busy digging out 'corroborating evidence' - what do you think I am, bloody Inspector Morse, old bean! This is a bit of footballing fun mate, not a murder hunt! Also I see Anon is keen to knock me by saying the stuff about the anthem was also in the MEN - well, so what? I can tell our Anon is not that much of a detective himself - it was actually also in the Stockport Express Advertiser before the MEN! Not all United and Celtic's huge army of supporters live in Manchester and Stockport, Anon - there is a worldwide base of fans and not all of them get the MEN and Stockport Express Advertiser! This is new to them, as indeed it was to me. Re the corroboration...I do remember my old grandad and his friends telling me about United fans singing the song at a Munich memorial at Old Trafford in 1958 - five years before it was sung at Anfield - so maybe that corroborates it?

I tell you what, Anon, you send me an email with your real name and address and I'll send you a signed copy of the book. Have a read and you'll know what I am saying...and thanks for writing in - good to hear from you, I wish you well.

All the best for now,

Frankie W