Wednesday, October 10, 2012

JOHN TERRY MAY BE BACK FOR ENGLAND

MY sources tell me that John Terry may yet return to England duty.

Some people are suggesting JT was hoping his resignation from the national set-up would have helped him in his dispute over the Anton Ferdinand allegations, and would have sparked a demand for him to be brought back into the England squad.

He received a four-match club ban  - so you can decide for yourselves whether it worked or not...in my humble opinion JT did well given the FA's verdict.

I am told John will now accept the ban to draw a line under the affair and could well go on to announce he has reconsidered his England decision and return to the squad by next year, certainly in time for the World Cup.

I was one of those pundits who questioned Terry's right to even be at the Euros, but his departure from the national scene has served mainly to highlight the paucity of alternative credible central defensive options.

In short, I was wrong about Terry's right to play in terms of his ability and I hold my hands up. He is certainly better than Cahill and formed a solid defensive partnership with Lescott.

Indeed, the way in which he made Lescott look such a good stopper is more proof if needed of just how good a defender and defensive leader Terry actually is. I would suggest that what we need with England is the emergence of a speedy, incisive smaller man to play alongside Terry - someone in the mould of say Colin Todd or Martin Buchan. I was hopeful that Phil Jagielka could be that man, but his form and judgment seems to have deserted him of late.

FRANK WORRALL